GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
The Computational Sciences Department (CS) generates and applies computational models across the drug discovery pipeline from lead discovery to late stage development. As part of CS, the Cheminformatics and Data Science group works closely with other groups within CS and multidisciplinary drug discovery teams, developing and applying computational approaches to facilitate the identification, prioritisation and progression of bioactive agents. We have a vacancy for a scientist with deep expertise in modern cheminformatics methods and their application to the design of small molecule drugs.
Our cheminformatics scientists develop the models, algorithms and platforms for generating testable hypotheses that drive discovery programs, extracting and analyzing decision-making data associated with molecular structure and building predictive models based on such data. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with other team members to ensure that work is aligned with strategic priorities, and seek out new opportunities for the impact of cheminformatics methodologies on drug discovery at GSK.
In this role you will…
- Develop and implement state-of-the-art cheminformatics methods for our core automated design platforms.
- Develop and support cheminformatics processes and databases required by our cheminformatics workflows.
- Be a point of contact for the use of cheminformatics methods in drug discovery
- Work alongside colleagues in CS to apply our state-of-the-art automated design platform to drug discovery programs.
- Prepare and present results to internal and external groups
- Work with others within a matrix organization
- Work with the Group Leader to balance the portfolio of support
- Assist in developing new capability for the Cheminformatics and Data Science group
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD, MSc or equivalent with relevant experience in Chemistry, Cheminformatics, Computational Science or a related discipline
- Evidence of a broad knowledge of computational sciences which will include a deep knowledge of one or more areas of cheminformatics
- Demonstrated track record of applying computational techniques resulting in demonstrable impact on projects
- Evidence of identifying, developing, and applying innovative solutions to scientific and technological problems faced in cheminformatics
- Experience with high-performance computing, general linux OS and hardware, as well as with computer programming and scripting languages such as C/C++, Java or Python.
- Experience with tools for managing complex software development projects such as Jira and Git.
- Evidence of strong critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated partnering with other scientists to ensure excellence and innovation in our computational sciences skills and technologies
- Ability to prioritize amongst competing time demands
- Troubleshoots and solves problems
- Evidence of developing self and others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with scientists in other disciplines with a positive, collegial, collaborative attitude
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with statistical modeling of large data sets
- Demonstrated skills to programmatically collect, combine, mine and analyze complex biological and chemical data
- Knowledge of medicinal chemistry
- Successfully leads in a matrix environment, working across functions/disciplines
- Manages the planning and execution of projects
If you are interested, please apply on our website:
Cheminformatics Scientist (myworkdayjobs.com)